12-Year-Old Girl Dies After Partaking In TikTok Choking Challenge
A 12-year-old Argentinian girl died this week after parking in the deadly and viral “choking challenge,” a trend made popular on the social media video sharing app TikTok.
Her death is one of several high-profile cases of children dying from attempting to choke themselves to the point of blacking out.
Milagros Soto died on January 13 in the city of Capitán Bermudez, Santa Fe Province, according to family members, who said they were “inconsolable” and added they “gave her so much love.”
Family At A Loss For Young Girl’s Senseless Death: “We Gave Her So Much Love”
“We are inconsolable [because] we gave her so much love,” the victim’s aunt Laura Luque told Jam Press of the tragedy.
Soto’s body was discovered in her home after allegedly participating in the viral TikTok “choking” or “blackout challenge.” The little girl was found hanging from a makeshift noose, local outlet El Litoral reported.
A 12-year-old Argentina girl lost her life after taking the terrible “choking challenge” made popular by TikTok. Let’s see, how did Milagros Soto die and her cause of death in detail.#MilagrosSoto
See morehttps://t.co/VPXgDZS5AQ pic.twitter.com/4NCmt3FO3u
— Medico topics (@MedicoTopics) January 17, 2023
The trend – one of many viral social media challenges, encourages clout-seekers to literally asphyxiate themselves until the point of passing out.
Medical experts warn that the dangerous viral trend can result in fainting, brain damage, seizures and even death.
Soto Amongst A Number of Children To Die From “Choking Challenge,” Two Wrongful Deaths Suits Filed
Soto is among a number of children who have died during a TikTok challenge. Over the summer, UK youths Leon Brown, 14 and Archie Battersbee, 12, all reportedly died due to the same viral trend, The Shade Room previously reported.
Leon’s mother, Lauryn Keating, told the Daily Record that she discovered her son’s lifeless body in his room at their Cumbernauld home on August 25.
Over the summer, the Social Media Victims Law Center – a legal resource for relatives of children harmed by social media – announced it filed two wrongful death lawsuits on behalf of two similarly devastated parents.
Unilad reports that both 8-year-old Lalani Erika from Texas and 9-year-old Arriani Jaileen Arroyo from Wisconsin died after taking part in the “blackout challenge”
12 Years old boy Archie dies after attempting TikTok blackout challengehttps://t.co/3qKWZDNXsu#TikTok #TikTokviral #TikTokライブ #TikToknaked #tiktokhotindo #tiktokchallenge #TikTokLive #tiktokthots #BlackoutChallenge pic.twitter.com/4uLXw6sqZO
— TikTok Death (@TikTokDeath) August 25, 2022
Other Viral TikTok Challenges Sending Children To The Hospital, Including “One Chip Challenge”
In September, The Shade Room reported on another TikTok challenge, wherein participants endure the incredibly spicy “One Chip Challenge,” which packs such a punch that it’s sending people to the hospital.
The challenge is an ongoing dare put forth by Paqui, the flavored tortilla chip company behind the viral trend.
This year’s “One Chip Challenge” features the notorious Carolina Reaper Chip, long considered to be the hottest pepper in the world at 1,641,183 Scoville units.
Health officials and medical experts have called the trend dangerous after it sent many to the hospital – including children – in excruciating pain.
One TikToker, @angela_b157, posted a now-viral video showing her niece hospitalized after participating in the challenge, which has garnered nearly 20 million views as of this article’s publication.
Authorities Warn Of Other Dangerous TikTok Trends, Including Cooking Chicken In NyQuil And The “Kia Challenge”
Also in September, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned the public against using over the counter drugs to cook food after a TikToker posted a video using NyQuil to cook their chicken, as previously reported by The Shade Room.
The video, which was posted nearly a year ago, may have prompted a “social media challenge,” and the FDA is working to ensure that social media users are safely using OTC drugs.
The video has since been deleted, but showed the user frying two chicken breasts in a pan containing NyQuil cold and flu medicine.
In October, authorities similarly warned the public of the “Kia Challenge.”
Four teens k!lled in a car [email protected] in Buffalo while attempting the viral TikTok “Kia challenge”
“Kia challenge” is an ongoing viral Tiktok challenge, that shows viewers how to steal a Kia/Hyundai car with a USB cord and a screwdriver then drive 60/90 mph and swing left and right pic.twitter.com/6DlrkbOTaI
— OSG (@OloriSupergal) October 27, 2022
Four teens were killed in a Buffalo car crash – with a young mother amongst the victims – while attempting the dangerous TikTok challenge where participants steal cars using only a USB cord and a screwdriver, as previously reported by The Shade Room.
WGRZ confirmed the identifies of the victims: Marcus Webster, 19, Swazine Swindle, 17, Kevin Payne, 16, and Ahjanae Harper, 14.
The four were killed when the stolen Kia they were riding in crashed Monday morning, with the force of the crash ejecting them and one other passenger, leaving just two survivors.
- Are Significant Advances in Technology Capable of Being Utilized to Benefit the Casino Industry? February 28, 2023
- Do You Think Tipping Auto Transport Driver is Necessary? February 10, 2023
- Enterprise-class OKR Platform Profit.co Raises $11 Mn Funding Led by Elevation Capital February 1, 2023
- Bengaluru Headquartered Mikro Grafeio Appoints U.S. Based Serial Entrepreneur Shyam Kumar as its Co-Founder February 1, 2023
- Federal Gov’t Will ‘Probably’ Force Americans To Eat Insects, Tucker Carlson Says February 1, 2023