The popular TV show “Dancing with Stars” has brought dancing back into fashion. The glamour, the excitement, the music all come together to make dancing something that cool people do again. The question is, why would you want to learn how to dance? If you’re not sure, here are 6 reasons why!
1. It’s a fun way to exercise. When thinking about ways to get fit, you usually think about going to a gym, or jogging or some other way of form of boring exercise that most people don’t find fun and that isn’t particularly enjoyable. Dancing however is fun. Even if you’re just disco dancing in your living room to some popular record from your teenage years, your heartbeat will raise and you’ll enjoy the benefits of exercise without feeling that you’re actually working out. If you learn to dance, you’ll learn routines that you can use either with a partner, or can adapt to do on your own, and these can become a regular “work out” that will help to keep you in shape.
2. Learning to dance is a great way to meet people. You could turn up at a local dance studio and take a few classes, or you could buy a DVD and follow the steps in the privacy of your own home. Once you feel a little more confident, put on your dancing shoes and get out to a local dancing venue. You’ll be surprised at how many people are dancing!
3. That dreaded first dance as a married couple isn’t going to give you nightmares when thinking about your wedding! Instead you and your partner can gracefully glide through a romantic Viennese waltz, before the beat picks up and you both sexily samba back to your seats to the enthusiastic cheers of your friends and family!
4. Dancing lowers your stress levels. There’s something special that happens when you dance. It’s as if all the worries and stresses of your life take a step back as you focus on moving your body in time to the music. You’re not thinking about the bills that need paid, what’s for supper, or whether you sent that important document in the mail. Instead you’re thinking about what steps come next, if you’re keeping your heels and toes in the right place, and your lines straight. Afterwards, the stressful issues are still there but you’re able to deal with them with a clearer head.
5. There’s no age restriction! Anyone can learn to dance. It doesn’t matter if you’re 5 or 75, you can learn to dance and have great fun doing so. If you’re older and have some health restrictions that mean you can’t chase as fast as you might have done in your 20s, that doesn’t matter. Often you can either choose to learn a slower dance, or perhaps slow the tempo down and do the faster dances to slower music!
6. It’s fun! OK, so that’s already on the list, but the fact that dancing is fun can’t be emphasized enough. It doesn’t matter if you think you’ve got two left feet, bad balance and no co-ordination worth mentioning, learning to dance is still going to make you laugh – even if it’s at yourself – while at the same time doing something active that’s got your heart racing, your body moving and your stress levels down. What better reason could you need?