Another huge win for freedom: SCOTUS sides with praying coach
This article contains commentary which reflects the author’s opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
VICTORY: By supporting prayer in schools, the U.S. Supreme Court delivers a win for religious freedom
The United States Supreme Court sided with a high school coach who wanted to lead players in voluntary prayer after football games, resulting in yet another win for religious liberty.
The Supreme Court concluded in a 6-3 vote in the case of Kennedy v. Bremerton School District that the Constitution upholds Americans’ rights to enjoy their First Amendment freedoms in public settings, including schools.
Joe Kennedy, a varsity assistant coach and head coach of junior varsity in the Seattle-area district, was not subject to discrimination because of his religious beliefs, according to Justice Neil Gorsuch. This is true even if Kennedy works for the government.
Students voluntarily participate
According to Fox News, Kennedy “began the practice of reciting a post-game prayer by himself, but eventually students started joining him. According to court documents, this evolved into motivational speeches that included religious themes. After an opposing coach brought it to the principal’s attention, the school district told Kennedy to stop. He did, temporarily, then notified the school that he would resume the practice.”
- Rebecca Horvath
- Rebecca Horvath is an editor and writer for NRN. For nearly a decade, Horvath wrote a regular Community Voices column for the Johnson City Press, where she was known to ruffle a few feathers. In 2018, she began writing for the National Federation of Republican Women, interviewing and profiling candidates such as Sen. Martha McSally and Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith. Horvath also contributes to Net3d.home.blog.
- Olive Garden Manager Fired After Asking For Time-Off Proof December 9, 2022
- Registrations open for Retail Technology Show 2023 December 9, 2022
- Timbaland, Pusha T, And More Attend! ‘Earn Your Leisure’ Takes Over Art Basel December 9, 2022
- Tessuti marks its Ireland debut at Victoria Square December 9, 2022
- Döner Shack named best fast-casual franchise in the UK December 9, 2022