Design Graduate Develops Paint That Captures and Store CO2 From Air
A design graduate Kukbong Kim, who has a background in architecture and engineering, has developed a paint called — Celour — that captures and stores carbon dioxide from the air.
The paint can absorb 27 grams of CO2 in every 135 grams used Kim told Dezeen. According to her, the amount of CO2 Celour captures is the same amount of carbon dioxide that a normal tree absorbs per day. The paint is made from demolished concrete which would overwise be put in landfills where it can harm local ecosystems.
Waste concrete powder (WCP) is the main ingredient of Celour paint. WCP, which has the mineral carbonation effect, is a cement-based waste and a by-product of the concrete recycling process. This material is normally disposed of in landfill, causing pollution to water and soil, however, this cement waste can capture and store carbon for a longer time than any other material.
Celour can not only actively capture carbon dioxide from the air but also decrease the carbon emission occurring while making new cement. Celour provides a crucial step in restoring pre-industrial atmospheric levels by the users.
According to Kim, Celour can reabsorb a significant part of the emissions that were generated by producing the cement in the first place.
Notably, Cement is the source of about 8% of the world’s carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, according to think tank Chatham House. Concrete is the most widely used man-made material in existence. It is second only to water as the most-consumed resource on the planet.
To recall, a similar invention from India exist called ‘Air-Ink‘ by a Bengaluru-based startup Graviky Labs absorb air pollution and turn it into ink. Graviky Labs has recently presenting their work at Fashion for Good Foundation’s fashion week in Amsterdam.
- Are Significant Advances in Technology Capable of Being Utilized to Benefit the Casino Industry? February 28, 2023
- Do You Think Tipping Auto Transport Driver is Necessary? February 10, 2023
- Enterprise-class OKR Platform Profit.co Raises $11 Mn Funding Led by Elevation Capital February 1, 2023
- Bengaluru Headquartered Mikro Grafeio Appoints U.S. Based Serial Entrepreneur Shyam Kumar as its Co-Founder February 1, 2023
- Federal Gov’t Will ‘Probably’ Force Americans To Eat Insects, Tucker Carlson Says February 1, 2023