Emotiva’s BasX MR1 Cinema Receiver is Now Shipping
Emotiva loves to deliver a lot of value for the money and the new BasX MR1 cinema receiver might be one of their best options yet for those looking for a true workhorse AVR that won’t crap out when the movie or music requires some grunt to drive your surround sound loudspeaker system.
The BasX MR1 cinema receiver combines a high performance 13.2 channel immersive surround sound processor, and an audiophile quality 11 channel power amplifier, in a single chassis.
The $1,999 USD asking price makes it rather competitive with the latest AVRs from Marantz and Denon that offer comparable features and power output. The Emotiva BasX MR1 does not offer support for Dirac Live which is becoming a standard feature on some AVRs in the price range, however.
The processor section of the MR1 supports 4K UHD video, including HDR and Dolby Vision, enhanced ARC (eARC), and the latest Dolby Atmos and DTS:X immersive surround sound formats.
The MR1 features six HDMI 2.0b video inputs, all of which support 4K UHD HDR video, and includes support for enhanced ARC (eARC). Included with the MR1 is a measurement microphone and the latest version of EmoQ, Emotiva’s well-regarded automatic room correction system. The MR1 also offers multiple analog and digital audio inputs, and an integrated Bluetooth receiver with support for aptX.
The amplifier section of the BasX MR1 combines 11 channels of audiophile-grade Class A/B amplification. Powered by a massive, class leading 1,000 VA toroidal transformer that drives their Soft Switch Class H power supply for high efficiency, with cool running, reliable operation.
The MR1 exhibits complete control over difficult loads and low impedance speakers. The MR1 also includes a full set of line level 13.2 channel preamp outputs, and of course, the amplifier section can be totally disabled if you wish to use the MR1 as a dedicated surround sound processor.
The BasX MR1 is a true audiophile component, designed and built by professionals to deliver the outstanding performance that both audiophiles and casual listeners can appreciate.
The MR1 also features precision high-speed video switches that route video directly from the selected input to the output without any extraneous processing, ensuring that you’ll continue to get the absolute best possible picture quality from your HD and 4K UHD video sources along with support for both ARC and Enhanced eARC.
The MR1 provides full support for standard ARC (Audio Return Channel) for devices that don’t have eARC support. For devices that support the new eARC (Enhanced ARC) standard the MR1 will detect this and enable eARC support.
Note: Only HDMI Output #1 on the MR1 supports ARC and eARC.
On most TV sets only one HDMI Input supports eARC, so be sure and connect the MR1 to that input. In addition to this, on many TV sets, eARC must specifically be enabled, so be sure that eARC is enabled in your TV’s configuration menu.
Active HDMI Output Switching
As defined in the HDMI standard, if you have two devices with different video capabilities connected to the two outputs on the MR1, and both are on, your video source will negotiate a video format supported by both, and the MR1 will send that same video signal to both devices.
So, for example, if you have a 4K TV, and a 1080p TV, and only the 4K TV is turned on, it will receive a 4K signal; however, if both TVs are turned on, then both will receive a 1080p video signal (because that is the highest resolution format that both TVs support).
The same requirement is also true for some other features — like HDR. Unfortunately, many modern TVs and projectors do not report their status correctly to the processor and source device. As a result of this, for example, you may find that you don’t get 4K video on your 4K TV set unless the 1080p TV set is physically disconnected (unplugged).
The MR1 has a special feature that enables you to avoid this sort of problem. On the MR1 you have the option to temporarily disable each HDMI Output individually. So, in the example above, by disabling the HDMI Output connected to the 1080p TV set when that set isn’t in use, you can prevent it from limiting the 4K video signal being sent to your 4K set.
The MR1 includes the latest and most advanced version of the company’s EMO-Q Automatic Room Correction System. EMO-Q now displays a visual interface which includes graphs of both the measured and corrected room response. Channels can now also be tested, and the results adjusted, individually.
Class A/B Amps
The MR1 includes both audiophile quality Class A/B amplifiers, which feature advanced class H power supply topology for optimum efficiency, and line level analog preamp outputs. This enables the MR1 to be used with a combination of passive loudspeakers and external amplifiers.
- Power Output Per Channel; ONE channel driven:
- 160 watts RMS / channel @ 8 Ohms;
- 290 watts RMS / channel @ 4 Ohms; < 0.1% THD
- Power Output Per Channel; TWO channels driven:
- 160 watts RMS / channel @ 8 Ohms;
- 260 watts RMS / channel @ 4 Ohms; < 0.1% THD
- Power Output Per Channel; FIVE channels driven:
- 135 watts RMS / channel @ 8 Ohms;
- 190 watts RMS / channel @ 4 Ohms; < 0.1% THD
- Power Output Per Channel; ELEVEN channels driven:
- 100 watts RMS / channel @ 8 Ohms;
- 130 watts RMS / channel @ 4 Ohms; < 0.1% THD
- Power Bandwidth (at rated power; 8 Ohm load): 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+ 0 / – 0.15 dB) or better.
- Rated Output Voltage: +6 dBV (2 VRMS)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +/- 0.05 dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion:
- < 0.0025% @ 1 kHz
- < 0.05% from 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Signal to Noise Ratio: > 100 dB @ 1 kHz
- Broad Band Frequency Response: 5 Hz to 80 kHz (+ 0 / – 3 dB).
- THD + noise: < 0.005% (A-weighted); at rated power; 1 kHz; 8 Ohms
Price & Availability
The Emotiva MR1 A/V Receiver is available now for $1,999 at emotiva.com.
- Are Significant Advances in Technology Capable of Being Utilized to Benefit the Casino Industry? February 28, 2023
- Do You Think Tipping Auto Transport Driver is Necessary? February 10, 2023
- Enterprise-class OKR Platform Profit.co Raises $11 Mn Funding Led by Elevation Capital February 1, 2023
- Bengaluru Headquartered Mikro Grafeio Appoints U.S. Based Serial Entrepreneur Shyam Kumar as its Co-Founder February 1, 2023
- Federal Gov’t Will ‘Probably’ Force Americans To Eat Insects, Tucker Carlson Says February 1, 2023