FiiO’s BTR7 Hi-Res Portable Dongle DAC Offers Wireless Playback
Yet another Dongle DAC. Before you feel the urge to yawn, the design and features of the FiiO BTR7 makes us think that this might be one really worth considering. The $199 USD price is also a positive development with some premium Dongle DACs going for significantly more.
A truly multi-functional device, the BTR7 offers the option of wired or wireless transfer of your audio, via either USB or Bluetooth. With support for a wide range of Bluetooth codecs, including aptX HD and LDAC, the BTR7 not only offers compatibility with multiple devices, it is able to wirelessly decode high resolution audio up to 24-bit/96kHz.
Sharing design cues with other FiiO products, such as the excellent M11S Portable Music Player that we just reviewed, the BTR7 features a 1.3-inch color screen that displays information including audio bitrate, volume level, Bluetooth codec and more.
The BTR7 is the first portable Bluetooth amplifier to utilise two THX AAA-28 amplifiers. As a result, FiiO have have been able to deliver a fully-balanced audio design, with each channel being driven separately. The BTR7 is able to deliver 88% more single-ended power output and 30% more balanced power output compared to previous models.
When it comes to audio quality, dynamic range, and overall musicality, FiiO have adopted a dual DAC chipset design for the BTR7. Featuring two ESS9219 Sabre DACs, with a 32-bit ‘HyperStream’ architecture, the BTR7 delivers a SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) of 118dB via both the featured 3.5mm single-ended and 4.4mm balanced headphone outputs.
Alongside its ability to receive audio via Bluetooth, the FiiO BTR7 can be used in a wired configuration as a portable USB DAC/Amplifier by accessing the ‘One-Click Dongle Mode’. Simply connect your smartphone, laptop or other compatible device to the BTR7 via the USB-C cable.
One press of the charge button will allow the BTR7 to switch in and out its USB dongle mode, allowing you to enjoy audio files up to 32-bit/384kHz (PCM) or DSD256 – including those featuring MQA – in the highest quality.
Compared to some other USB dongles available, the BTR7 does not consume your smartphone’s battery power whilst in this mode.
In order to enable wider compatibility with different devices, the FiiO BTR7 features the ability to switch the USB to a USB 1.0 driverless interface. This allows the BTR7 to work with older devices — or devices with locked operation systems — such as the Sony PS5 and Nintendo Switch.
In addition to viewing the BTR7’s menu on its built-in 1.3-inch color screen, functions and settings can also be accessed in the dedicated ‘FiiO Control’ app, available for both Android and iOS smartphones. The FiiO Control app allows for a number of additional features, including firmware updates and a 10-Band Graphic Equalizer.
- Bluetooth DAC & USB DAC Functions
- One-Click Dongle Mode (USB DAC/Amplifier)
- Dual ESS Technology Sabre ESS9219 DACs
- Dual THX AAA-28 Amplifiers
- 1.3″ 240×240 IPS Colour Display
- Qualcomm QCC5124 Bluetooth Chip with Bluetooth 5.1
- Bluetooth Codec Support: AAC/SBC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX Adaptive/aptX HD/LDAC
- Support for audio files up to 32-bit 384kHz PCM / DSD256
- MQA Support
- Headphone out: 1 x 3.5mm Single Ended / 1 x 4.4mm Balanced Output
- Up to 9 Hours Battery Life
- Wireless Charging (Qi Standard)
In the Box:
- 1 x FiiO BTR7 Portable Amplifier
- 1 x Black Leatherette Case
- 1 x Type-A to Type-C USB Charging Cable
- 1 x USB Type-C to Type-C Cable (included in both versions)
- 1 x USB Type-C to Lightning Cable (included in BTR7 Lightning version only)
- 1 x Quick start guide
Price & Availability
The FiiO BTR7 (USB-C Version) is available now priced, £175 / $199. The FiiO BTR7 (Lightning Version) is available now priced, £195 / $209.
Where to buy: $199 / $209 at Amazon
- Are Significant Advances in Technology Capable of Being Utilized to Benefit the Casino Industry? February 28, 2023
- Do You Think Tipping Auto Transport Driver is Necessary? February 10, 2023
- Enterprise-class OKR Platform Profit.co Raises $11 Mn Funding Led by Elevation Capital February 1, 2023
- Bengaluru Headquartered Mikro Grafeio Appoints U.S. Based Serial Entrepreneur Shyam Kumar as its Co-Founder February 1, 2023
- Federal Gov’t Will ‘Probably’ Force Americans To Eat Insects, Tucker Carlson Says February 1, 2023