Little League Players Shove Cotton Into Player’s Hair, Officials ‘No Ill-Intent’
One moment during a Sunday televised Little League World Series game has gone viral. A group of teammates shoved cotton into the afro of a Black teammate on live TV. While their hands violated this child’s hair, covering his afro while he sat unsmilingly. But, according to a statement by Little League officials, there was “no ill-intent” by the players, and they’ve spoken to the child’s parents and coaches to confirm.
Per TMZ, the scene unfolded in the eighth inning of a game in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. Four teammates from a Davenport, Iowa team, all white-appearing, ripped cotton from the insides of giveaway toys. Then, they shoved the balls into their teammate’s hair, covering his entire crown. Meanwhile, the child sat still, with no expression except looking down and around a few times. One of the children even shaped the cotton on his teammate’s hair. The sports commentators seemed to overlook the scene with comments like, “when in Rome.”
Little League’s Official Statement on the broadcast below: https://t.co/ljgDuh2QaL pic.twitter.com/3LlruOuQRD
— philip lewis (@Phil_Lewis_) August 22, 2022
Little League Releases A Statement
But the Little League said the players meant no harm, and the child’s mother agreed with their judgment. Here’s what their statement said:
“After speaking with the team, as well as reviewing photos, multiple players on the Midwest region team were taking part in this while enjoying the game. As only one player appeared on the broadcast, Little League International understands that the actions shown could be perceived as racially insensitive. We have spoken with the player’s mother and the coaches, who have assured us that there was no ill-intent behind the action shown during the broadcast,” the League said.
The Davenport team plans to retake the field on Tuesday. It’s unclear if the teammates involved will face consequences. But the video is causing a stir on social media.
- Are Significant Advances in Technology Capable of Being Utilized to Benefit the Casino Industry? February 28, 2023
- Do You Think Tipping Auto Transport Driver is Necessary? February 10, 2023
- Enterprise-class OKR Platform Profit.co Raises $11 Mn Funding Led by Elevation Capital February 1, 2023
- Bengaluru Headquartered Mikro Grafeio Appoints U.S. Based Serial Entrepreneur Shyam Kumar as its Co-Founder February 1, 2023
- Federal Gov’t Will ‘Probably’ Force Americans To Eat Insects, Tucker Carlson Says February 1, 2023