M&K Sound has announced an addition to its in-wall/in-ceiling speaker line, the IW150A.
What makes this speaker a little different is that can be used as a ceiling height speaker in addition for use as an in-wall surround or LCR (Left, Center, or Right channel) speaker.
The IW150A includes a 15-degree fixed-angled tweeter and 5.7-degree fixed-angle pair of woofers, which are designed to produce a good off-axis response. This design approach the IW150A provides flexibility for home theater installers.
M&K states that the IW150A is ideal for use as a height channel for Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, or Auro3D audio setups. The speaker can also be used angled down- or angled up-firing for LCR applications where placement locations may be limited (such as above or below a flat-panel display), or as an in-wall or in-ceiling-based surround or music speaker.
The IW150A supports a 30-degree voicing angle but its vertical dispersion enables an optimal listening window of +/- 30 degrees (+/- 2dB) from the line of sight, with a vertical dispersion window of +/- 45 degrees. Horizontal dispersion extends to +/- 60 degrees.
The IW150A can produce room-filling sound pressure levels (SPL) in rooms of up 3,000 cubic feet (85 cubic meters).
Whether the speaker is used as a height or surround channel, listening hotspots are mitigated and more audience members can experience even audio coverage throughout the seating area. Wide horizontal dispersion also makes the speaker well-suited as an in-wall home cinema LCR, optimizing both dialogue intelligibility and front soundstage effects placement.
IW150A boasts M&K Sound’s signature sonic neutrality and timbre matching, which aids many home theater installers in providing the optimum speaker setup for their customers.
- Product Number: IW150A
- Speaker Design: Two-way, In-wall, Sealed Cabinet
- Tweeter: 1x 25mm silk dome with neodymium magnet
- Tweeter Angle: 15 degrees fixed
- Woofer: 2 x 5.25-inch coated glass fiber
- Grill Color: White (metal construction)
- Impedance: 4 Ohms
- Frequency Response: 80Hz to 20kHz ±3dB
- Sensitivity: 90 dB (2.83V/1m)
- Crossover: 2 kHz
- Max Peak SPL: 116 dB
- Power Handling: 90 to 180 watts
- Amplifier Power Range: 25 to 400 watts
- Terminals: Gold Plated Push Terminal (accommodates 4mm speaker cable)
- Cutout Dimension Requirements (H x W): 13.03 x 11.33 inches (331 x 288 mm)
- Cabinet Dimensions (H x W): 12.95 x 11.25 inch (329 x 286 mm)
- Cabinet Depth: 3.74 inches (95 mm)
- Grille Dimensions (H x W): 14.17 x 12.48 inches (360 x 317 mm)
- Weight: 21.6 lbs (9.8 Kg)
Pricing & Availability
The M&K Sound IW150A has a suggested retail price of $1,099 (USD)/£1,295 (GBP) and will be available from M&K Sound authorized distributors from early October 2022.
Tip: If you don’t have experience installing in-wall or in-ceiling speakers, you should consult a home theater installer regardless of brand or model.
For more information: mksound.com