Mom Charged With Murder After Son, 4, Dies From THC Gummies
A Virginia mother is facing felony murder and child neglect charges after her 4-year-old son died from eating marijuana gummies earlier this year.
Dorothy Annette Clements did not get help quickly enough for her son, Tanner Clements, after he was found unresponsive back in May at a home they were visiting, according to investigators.
Tanner died two days later, NBC San Diego reports.
Detective Found Empty THC Gummy Jar In Home, Toxicology, Autopsy Results Show Extremely High Levels Of THC
Clements told detectives that her son ate half of a CBD gummy, adding that she called poison control and was told he would be okay, search warrant documents claim.
However, one detective said she found an empty THC gummy jar in the home, and toxicology results eventually showed that Tanner had extremely high levels of TCH in his system when he died.
Who is Dorothy Annette Clements
Dorothy Annette Clements Bio – Dorothy Annette Clements Wiki
Virginia mother Dorothy Annette Clements, 30, of Spotsylvania, was taken into custody on Thursday.https://t.co/EfgGSpFitU pic.twitter.com/sx0huwDlBN
— prizebondlives (@WorldWikis) October 21, 2022
An autopsy found that THC, which is the active ingredient in marijuana that gets people high, was the cause of the boy’s death.
Authorities say he might have survived if his mother had gotten help for him quicker.
Pediatric Emergency Room Physician Says Any Amount Of THC Can Be An Issue For Children
Dr. Jill McCabe, a pediatric emergency room physician at Inova Loudoun Hospital, said that any amount of THC can be an issue for children, she told News4 Washington.
And with weed being legalized in more and more states, it’s an issue more children are being subjected to on a nationwide basis.
“THC gummies definitely in any quantity pose a risk to children. There’s many reasons for that. One is that the packaging does not include any kind of a child-proof mechanism,” McCabe said. “They also look like candy and so they are something, when children come across them, most children are going to put that in their mouth and ingest it.”
Parents are encouraged to lock up any THC products, which are not regulated and can vary widely in terms of strength, McCabe added.
Maryland Mother Describes Harrowing Incident After Her Toddler Unwittingly Ate THC Edible
One Maryland parent told News4 last year that her toddler unwittingly ate a marijuana edible that had been prescribed to her for sleep.
“He was unusually lethargic,” Elizabeth Perry said. “… I was putting him to sleep and laid him down, and he started shaking and crying and looked at me with just utter fear in his eyes.”
Oliver was rushed to Anne Arundel Medical Center while having seizures as his vitals continued to drop. Doctors ran tests on the boy, and he was even intubated and medevacked to Children’s National Hospital in Washington D.C.
After 36-hours, Oliver eventually made a full recovery, but only because his mother acted quickly according to McCabe.
A call to Poison Control, 1-800-222-1222, might be enough if the child is showing minor symptoms.
- Enterprise-class OKR Platform Profit.co Raises $11 Mn Funding Led by Elevation Capital February 1, 2023
- Bengaluru Headquartered Mikro Grafeio Appoints U.S. Based Serial Entrepreneur Shyam Kumar as its Co-Founder February 1, 2023
- Federal Gov’t Will ‘Probably’ Force Americans To Eat Insects, Tucker Carlson Says February 1, 2023
- ‘I Am Not A Socialist’: Maxine Waters Spars With Chip Roy During Rules Committee Hearing February 1, 2023
- Obesity Linked To Azheimer’s-Like Changes In Brain February 1, 2023