REL is a well-regarded brand name in the world of subwoofers. Its T/x-series product line is very well received, but they haven’t stopped there. Following the recent debut of its HT/1510 Predator II subwoofer, REL has announced its new Reference Series subwoofer line, which initially consists of the No.31 (12-inch, $7,000) and No. 32 (15-inch, $10,000).
REL’s subwoofers have always been more popular for their performance with music as part of any 2.1 system, but the current generation are proving to be monsters of the Midway by offering state-of-the-art performance in home theater systems as well.
The new REL Reference Series Subwoofers are not meant to be left in the corner; REL has a very comprehensive setup video that is well worth viewing to get the most out of your subwoofer and you might be surprised where you end up setting it up.
One benefit from our experience with REL’s subwoofers over the years is that they do a remarkable job of vanishing once properly installed and improving both the dynamic range, clarity, and soundstage of your existing loudspeakers — a benefit of taking some of the load off their shoulders.
- Amplifier Type: Class D
- Driver Material: Long throw carbon fiber cone with inverted carbon fiber center cap.
- Enclosure: Closed box with a front-firing driver.
- Dual Parametric Filters: Yes
- Gain Control Rage: 80 dB
- Crossover Control: Variable from 20 to 90 Hz.
- Phase Control: 0 or 180 degrees switchable (used to match the in/out motion of the subwoofer driver to the rest of the speakers in your system).
To make using the No.31 and 32 easier REL provides a wireless remote control. What distinguishes this remote is that it is circular and fits in the palm of your hand.
The control setting options are as follows:
- Top: Crossover Control (20 to 90Hz)
- Left Side: .1/LFE Level Control. Also used to adjust Parametric EQ Frequencies.
- Right Side: Hi/Low-Level Volume control. Also used to adjust Parametric EQ Level.
- Toggle Switches:
- Parametric: Used to select Parametric EQ settings (Dual A and B options)
- Phase: 0 or 180 degrees.
- Security: You can use this toggle to lock your subwoofer settings.
Having a wireless remote control for the No.31 and No.32 subwoofers is a lot more convenient than having to get up and fumble around with rear-mounted controls as is the case with most subwoofers.
- Mains Lead
- Neutrik Speakon Interconnection (10 meters)
- Remote Control and Batteries
- Allen Key (2.5 mm)
- User Manual
|Power Output:||900 Watts RMS||1,000 Watts RMS|
|Driver Size:||12-inches (300mm)||15-inches (380mm)|
|Low-Frequency Extension:||Down to 17Hz (-6dB)||Down to 15Hz (-6dB)|
|Dimensions (WHD):||25 1/8 x 17 x 21 1/2 inches
|29 1/4 x 21 x 32 1/8 inches
|Finish:||High Gloss Black||Piano Black Lacquer|
Need More Bass?
If one No.31 or No.32 isn’t enough for your room (or taste), they are stackable in a line array.
You can stack up to three subs using REL Couplers™ (Line Array Connectors) that connect lower units to upper units. The couplers are solid, milled aluminum units that bolt to each sub and along with the substantial rails on the underside of each cabinet create an extremely heavy, sturdy bass tower.
For those that have the budget and desire (not to mention spousal approval) to dive into this type of setup, they will shake down more than the house. Neighbor Alert!