One of the problems with traditional front-facing in-wall speakers is they project sound straight-out that’s often off-axis from the listener, which can impact sound quality. For example your center speaker could be mounted too low or too high, while your left/right speakers could be too far apart.
Getting in-wall speakers pointed at the listening area is generally ideal, but not often easy without a custom build-out. RSL Speakers is solving this problem by introducing a new in-wall/ceiling speaker that’s angled 15-degrees inside the housing so it can still mount flat just like a regular in-wall.
RSL Speaker Systems today has just started shipping its new W25E Reference In-Wall loudspeaker for $199 each. However, we’d be hesitant to confuse its low price with low quality. Although RSL Speakers is based in Southern California, they only sell factory-direct and manufacture in China, both of which minimize costs they can pass on to the consumer.
The RSL W25E Reference in-wall speakers can be used as any speaker within a home theater speaker system. Use them wherever as left, center, right, surround, or even overhead as Dolby Atmos height speakers. However, RSL does also offer a dedicated in-ceiling speaker for $50 less called the C34E MKII. It’s angled as well for installation flexibility. Both RSL architectural models also feature the same tweeter and matching mesh grilles.
W25E Key Features
- Universal L/C/R/Surround channel optimization
- Laterally-aligned asymmetrical mirrored baffling
- Adjustable tweeter swivel alignment and attenuation
- Mineral-filled woven textured poly-cone with butyl-rubber surround
- Audiophile-grade crossover components
- Edgeless magnetically attached grille design
- Cut-out template and paint shield included
- Design allows for both Horizontal or Vertical mounting within standard 2×4 construction
- Woofer: Dual 5 ¼” Woofers with High-Energy Ferrite Magnets, Woven textured Mineral-Filled Poly-Cones, Butyl Rubber Surrounds, and High-Strength Cold-Rolled Stamped Steel Frames.
- Tweeter: 22mm (7/8”) Treated-Fabric Exposed Dome Swivel Tweeter with Neodymium Magnet
- Frequency Response: 48Hz-20,000 Hz ± 3dB
- Recommended Impedance setting for amplifiers: 6 or 8 ohms
- Sensitivity: 91dB SPL
- Recommended Power: 35–175 Watts
- Crossover Frequency: 3,200Hz
- Crossover Slope: Asymmetric 12/6dB per octave
- Crossover Parts: Proprietary, Low Insertion-Loss Lami-Core and Air-Core Inductors, RSL Poly Capacitors, Non-Inductive Resistors, Gold-Plated Spring-Loaded Binding Posts, FR-2 PCB
- Tuning Method: Infinite Baffle
- System Resonance: Application Dependent
- Weight: 7.6 lbs.
- Shipping Weight: 9.2 lbs.
- Dimensions: (Overall): Depth 4”, Width 9⅞”, Height 14”.
- Dimensions: (Mounting): Depth 3¾” , Width 8⅞”, Height 13”
In addition, RSL has recently been going after the budget home audio category hard. They are most famous for their hot selling, budget-priced Speedwoofer 10S subwoofer we previously reviewed. But they also just introduced new bookshelf and center speakers for $105 / $149 each called the RSL CG3M and CG23M speakers.
Price & Availability
The RSL Speaker W25E Reference In-Wall Loudspeaker is available now for just $199 at rslspeakers.com.
Tip: Use code W25EBFCM to get $20 off the W25E before Cyber Monday (November 28, 2022).
About RSL Speaker Systems
RSL Speaker Systems, also known as Rogersound Labs, started manufacturing and selling specialty loudspeakers in the early 1970s through its numerous Southern California retail locations. As the industry’s original “Factory-Direct” speaker company, RSL continues this tradition today via its direct-to-consumer model, where its speakers are now available exclusively through their website, rslspeakers.com. This factory-direct tradition offers an unmatched value proposition that includes free shipping and a free trial period without the expense of a “middle-man” associated with products sold through conventional retail distribution.