Several Illegal Migrants Who Died In Overpacked Texas Trailer Had ‘Serious Criminal Records,’ Dem Rep Says
Posted On July 21, 2022
This article contains commentary which reflects the author’s opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
Eleven of the 53 migrants who died in San Antonio, Texas, in an alleged smuggling incident had “serious criminal records,” Democratic Texas Rep. Henry Cuellar said Wednesday in an interview with Border Report.
“Eleven people had serious criminal records in the U.S. — not in their countries — in the United States. So that means they’d been here before and they had broken the law,” Cuellar told Border Report of the June 27 event.
“They were not DWIs or parking tickets. These were serious felony records in the U.S., and so they had been here before and 20% had serious felony records in the US,” Cuellar explained, adding that the felonies included child abuse and homicide.
The migrants were allegedly smuggled through a Border Patrol checkpoint outside of Laredo, Texas, which is Cuellar’s district, and many of the deceased suffered heat-related injuries as the truck was overcrowded and lacked air conditioning.
Over 1.7 million migrants have been encountered at the U.S.-Mexico border so far in fiscal year 2022, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). The number has surpassed the number of encounters for fiscal year 2021.
Four men have been charged in connection with the incident, two of which were indicted for the alleged smuggling and two Mexican nationals were indicted for alleged illegal firearms possession, the U.S. Attorney’s office for the Western District of Texas announced Wednesday.
Cuellar said he got the latest information from sources well-versed in the incident, according to Border Report.
Neither Cuellar’s office nor the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) responded to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s requests for comment.
The U.S. Attorney’s office for the Western District of Texas declined to comment on Cuellar’s statements.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected]allernewsfoundation.org.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected]
- Daily Caller News Foundation
- The Daily Caller News Foundation is a guest author for NRN. They are a non-profit providing original investigative reporting from a team of professional reporters that operates for the public benefit.
- Are Significant Advances in Technology Capable of Being Utilized to Benefit the Casino Industry? February 28, 2023
- Do You Think Tipping Auto Transport Driver is Necessary? February 10, 2023
- Enterprise-class OKR Platform Profit.co Raises $11 Mn Funding Led by Elevation Capital February 1, 2023
- Bengaluru Headquartered Mikro Grafeio Appoints U.S. Based Serial Entrepreneur Shyam Kumar as its Co-Founder February 1, 2023
- Federal Gov’t Will ‘Probably’ Force Americans To Eat Insects, Tucker Carlson Says February 1, 2023