T.H.E. Show 2022: Record Shopping at T.H.E. Vinyloneum
As an audio show newbie, I didn’t know quite what to expect coming to T.H.E. Show 2022, but I knew for sure I wanted to hit what I’m calling “T.H.E. Vinyloneum” located in the Marketplace area on the second floor.
I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. There aren’t a huge number of resellers, but the 4 in attendance have a great selection. Cash is king; however, all accept credit card or PayPal so if you don’t carry paper money around anymore you can still burn a hole in your pocket.
I’m obviously not the only attendee looking to add to the record collection as all the seller booths were busy. This being an event for audiophiles, selection trends to classical and jazz but I did see a lot of rock and several boxes of punk, new wave, and metal.
Audiophile pressings from MoFi, Impex, Classic Records were in abundance, with other labels also featured.
My eyes lit up when I saw just how much classical and jazz was available as these genres are hard to find in Calgary. Highlight purchases for me were an unopened copy of the recent mono, Craft Recordings RSD release of Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section (price uninflated), an Impex pressing of E.S.P. by the Miles Davis Quintet (Copy 0047 of 3000) and a clean copy of Janos Starker playing the Bach Cello Sonatas (with Gyorgy Sebok).
I’m going home on Sunday not just having seen and heard some superb equipment at T.H.E. Show (and possibly additions to the gear wish list), but also with some great new wax to spin in my basement. What could be better than that?
- Watchfinder & Co. to set new industry standards with launch of its own marketplace in 2023 December 2, 2022
- Hobbycraft is launching Personalisation Stations in 31 stores across the UK for Christmas shoppers December 2, 2022
- SCA: How merchants can prepare this festive shopping season December 2, 2022
- Fintech KreditBee Raises $80 Mn in Series D December 2, 2022
- Robots roll-out in Yorkshire as Starship Technologies and Co-op bring autonomous food delivery to Leeds December 2, 2022