Technics Unveils the SL-100C Direct Drive Turntable
Technics has been very aggressive during the vinyl revolution introducing a number of new models that have sold out in some markets within weeks. The brand has a proven track record with both DJs and audiophiles and even its top models that sell for more than $3,000 USD have continued to sell well.
Technics turntables that have received accolades in the audiophile community include the legendary SL-1200 Series (first model launched in 1972) and the SL-1500C (launched in 2019).
However, to broaden its customer base, Technics has taken key features and technologies used in its SL-1500C turntable ($1,199 at Crutchfield) and added a new, more affordable entry to its Premium Class category, the SL-100C ($999).
Here are the key features of the SL-100C turntable.
Direct Drive Motor: The SL-100C incorporates a coreless direct drive brushless DC motor. This allows for a stable rotation that is free from “cogging”.
Two-Layer Platter: The two-layer platter provides improved vibration-damping performance.
S-Shaped Tone Arm: The highly sensitive S-shaped aluminum tonearm accurately reads record grooves. An S-Shaped tonearm has an equal mass on both sides of its pivot point.
Auto-Lift: In addition to its S-shape the tone features Auto-lift. This minimizes needle wear-out and preserves records.
Construction: The SL-100C has a high-rigidity cabinet and high-damping insulator for thorough shut-out of vibrations. This ensures smooth vinyl Record tracking.
Pre-installed Cartridge: With the SL-100C you don’t have to hunt for a cartridge before you can use it. An Audio-Technica AT-VM95C ($39 at Crutchfield) pickup cartridge is included in the SL-100C package and is also pre-installed so you can get down to serious music listening right away.
- Turntable Speeds: 33 1/3, 45/ 78 RPM
- Starting Torque: 0.18 N・m / 1.8 kg･cm
- Speed Build-up: 0.7 seconds from standstill to 33 1/3 rpm
- Braking System: Electronic
- Wow and Flutter: 0/025% W.R.M.S.
- Platter Construction: Aluminum
- Platter Weight: 2.0 Kg (includes turntable sheet)
- Included Cartridge: AT-VM95C
- Audio Output: RCA phono x 2 with ground terminal.
- Type: Universal Static Balance
- Tracking Error Angle (outer groove): Within 2° 32′ on a 30 cm/12″ record
- Tracking Error Angle (inner groove): Within 0° 32′ on a 30 cm/12″ record
- Arm Height Adjustment Range: 0 to 6mm
- Stylish Pressure Adjustment Range: 0 to 4 grams
- Headshell Weight: Approx 7.6 grams
- Headshell Terminals: 1.2mm/4-pin
- Turntable Sheet
- Dust cover
- EP record adapter
- Balance with Weight
- Head Shell
- Phono cables
- Gound cable
- AC power cord
- Owner’s Manual
Pricing and Availability
The Technics SL-100C Direct Drive Turntable is available for $999.99 at Amazon or Technics.com.
Affordable Audiophile Turntables
Vinyl Nirvana & The Art of the Restored Turntable
- Are Significant Advances in Technology Capable of Being Utilized to Benefit the Casino Industry? February 28, 2023
- Do You Think Tipping Auto Transport Driver is Necessary? February 10, 2023
- Enterprise-class OKR Platform Profit.co Raises $11 Mn Funding Led by Elevation Capital February 1, 2023
- Bengaluru Headquartered Mikro Grafeio Appoints U.S. Based Serial Entrepreneur Shyam Kumar as its Co-Founder February 1, 2023
- Federal Gov’t Will ‘Probably’ Force Americans To Eat Insects, Tucker Carlson Says February 1, 2023