Two young brothers have turned themselves in to police for their involvement in the vicious and deadly beating of an elderly man in Philadelphia last month, and one of them is now facing murder charges.
The brothers, just 10 and 14-years old, allegedly took part in the fatal June 24 attack that left 73-year-old James Lambert dead, according to CBS Philadelphia.
The outlet reports that the siblings were a part of a group of seven juveniles that hit Lambert in the head with a traffic cone after beating the man to the ground.
Disturbing video of the deadly assault shows as the group, which consisted of three girls and four boys, brutally attacked Lambert, causing him to fall to the ground and injure his head. Lambert can be see trying to get away from the youths before being knocked down again, while the group laugh and smile.
WATCH: 7 teens beat & killed a 72 year old man on Cecil B. Moore Ave two weeks ago this morning. 3 girls & 4 boys, used a traffic cone as a weapon. The man fell, hit his head & @phillypolice say he died the day after the 2:38 am attack on June 24th 1/2 @FOX29philly pic.twitter.com/4vmfGqOpp5
— Steve Keeley (@KeeleyFox29) July 8, 2022
The longtime Philadelphia resident died a day later from his injuries, according to Fox29.
Group of Youths Will Likely Face Murder Charges, Says Philly DA
Although five of the seven youths remain at large, Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner told CBS 3 Philly all of the juveniles involved could likely face murder charges “certainly on the very limited information we have.”
The two brothers turned themselves in around 4 p.m. Monday.
The ten-year-old boy has been released from police custody as of Tuesday morning, while his 14-year-old brother was processed on charges of third-degree murder and conspiracy.
Meanwhile, investigators are still working to identify the rest of of the minors who participated in the deadly attack, per CBS 3 Philly. It’s not immediately clear what the two brothers’ role was in the attack.
Victim’s Family Urges Rest Of Group To Surrender To Police
The victim’s sister, Elsie Stephens, urged the remaining teens to surrender to police in an interview with CBS Philly.
“Let them turn themself in, turn yourself in. How could you let us suffer like this? You took him away from us,” said Stephens, the victim’s sister.
Police said that they expect the other young teens seen in the video to turn themselves in as media pressure continues to mount. Authorities had released screenshots of all seven youths in an effort to identify them.
District Attorney Larry Krasner said that young teen’s parents bear responsibility as well, adding that the attack occurred at 2:30 a.m., just a week before the city’s curfew ordinance, and at a time where their children should otherwise have been in bed.
“We all have a role to play as parents and one of the roles is to try to encourage and push our kids to do things that make sense,” Krasner said.
However, officials stressed the nature of the investigation, which was described as “very, very active.”
“This is a very, very active investigation. Things are happening hour by hour,” District Attorney Larry Krasner added.
Authorities are offering $20,000 for any information that leads to the arrest of the others who were involved in the deadly assault.
To submit a tip via telephone, dial or text 215.686.TIPS (8477) or submit a tip anonymously here.