(Update) R. Kelly Removed From Suicide Watch Following Complaints Of Inhumane Treatment
Following complaints from his legal team as well as himself, R. Kelly has now been officially removed from suicide watch. During a brief court hearing earlier today, prosecutors told a federal judge that the suicide watch prevention had been removed, as R. Kelly said that it was an extreme form of punishment that wasn’t necessary for him because he is not suicidal despite recently receiving a 30-year prison sentence.
Just after his sentencing, federal authorities placed R. Kelly under suicide watch “for his own safety” due to the results of a recent psychological assessment. However, his legal team stated that the supervision wasn’t necessary and was “solely for punitive purposes.”
“Following a clinical assessment, plaintiff Robert Sylvester Kelly, also known as ‘R. Kelly,’ was removed from suicide watch as of this morning, July 5, 2022. Because plaintiff has already been removed from suicide watch, there is nothing more that the court can do for him,” state prosecutors wrote.
As we previously reported, R. Kelly filed a lawsuit against the Brooklyn prison where he is incarcerated to remove him from suicide protection. The prior lawsuit was against MDC Brooklyn, claiming they are subjecting him to “cruel and unusual punishment.”
R. Kelly also is argued that his 8th Amendment rights were being violated because “he is not suicidal and expressly told MDC officials that he was not suicidal and had no thoughts of harming himself or others.”
Want updates directly in your text inbox? Hit us up at 917-722-8057 or click here to join!
- STPI Selects 40 Indian Startups for US Exposure Under their “Building the Next Unicorn” Initiative November 30, 2022
- IKEA to invest £12m in pay and cost-of-living support package November 30, 2022
- Sook partners with Transport for London to welcome local businesses to Shoreditch and Hammersmith November 30, 2022
- Jazz your jumper at Westfield London this Christmas Jumper Day November 30, 2022
- Ex-Flipkart SVP Founded Flash Raises $5.8 Mn in Seed Round from Global Investors and Marquee Angels November 30, 2022